In This Blog:
- What is Mercury Retrograde
- How will it affect us
- Crystals for communication and clarity
- The Do’s and Don’ts
- The positive
What Is Mercury Retrograde?
You may have heard lot’s of people talking about Mercury Retrograde, but not know what it means exactly. The term retrograde refers to something directed or moving backward. So Mercury Retrograde means that the planet Mercury is moving backward and appears to be traveling from east-to-west rather than west-to-east. However, Mercury doesn’t move backward it just appears to be.
Retrograde is nothing new, it happens throughout the year and it happens to all visible planets. The Earths orbit interacts with the other planets orbit, and they can appear to be traveling backward to the zodiac, but it is an illusion that we call apparent retrograde motion.
Ancient astrologers also viewed this process, with a little bit of stargazing you will notice that Mercury appears to move backward, and in a few days or weeks following Mercury will appear to be moving forward again.
Mercury is the closest planet to the Sun. This means that it has a much shorter orbit than Earth. It whizzes past Earth 3 or 4 times a year, and it is during these periods that we experience Mercury retrograde.
The best way to understand this phenomenon is by thinking about traveling by car. If you are in the car and another car passed you by, you can then tell that it was going faster than you. If the same car then slowed down and you passed it, it would appear that the car is going backward.
As Mercury begins to speed up and go past the Earth it creates a lot of power and energy. The turbulence that Mercury creates when it retrogrades can affect what we feel here on Earth and influence our everyday lives.
How Could It Affect Us?
“As above, so too below” is a famous rule within astrology. This means that there is a fractal relationship between the orbits with space and human activity here on Earth. This idea applies to many areas of astrology and it is something to think about.
Retrograde can affect us differently depending on the planet that is involved and on the zodiac sign that it is passing through.
Mercury is the planet of communication and retrogrades within this planet’s orbit can lead to confusions, delays, and frustration. This is a time when our plans can fall apart but it is also a good time for reflection and contemplation. Intuition is often high during these periods and you may experience more coincidences.
The Areas Of Life That Mercury Rule
Mercury rules communication and that is why plans can go so astray during this time. Ruling communication includes all types of communication, listening, speaking, reading, editing, negotiating, blogging, sharing on social media, selling, and buying. Mercury ruling communication links to all things business, particularly trading, contracts, and connections. Another aspect of communication is the commitments we make with one another and ourselves. This involves any formal contracts, agreements, important documents, leases, wills, and promises.
It is known for ruling travel, so during this time, you should allow yourself extra time during travel and extra care when ordering tickets. This can also link to shipping times and postage during this time.
To help with disruptions in communication we recommend carrying or wearing crystals that help with communication; and link to the Throat Chakra Visuddha. This is the throat Chakra, and it is the portal of communication. This is where we express ourselves, and during this time it is particularly important to make sure that we are expressing ourselves clearly.
Crystals For Communication
- Lapis Lazuli is used to help us make good judgments with wisdom.
- Turquoise is an ancient stone of communication and protection.
- Aquamarine encourages us to speak our truth and be brave.
Any blue crystal is great for connecting with the Throat Chakra and helping to better communicate and express ourselves during mercury retrograde.
The Do's And Don'ts
- Do look up the zodiac sign that the retrograde falls into.
- Do take extra time to reflect upon your actions and behaviors.
- Do take time to review projects and plans.
- Do wait to make any final decisions.
- Don’t stop or hold back, but do take extra time and care during the retrograde.
- Do look out for miscommunication and stay calm.
- Don’t blame Mercury Retrograde for everything.
- Do spend time reflecting.
- Do use crystals during this time.
- Do double and triple check plans.
- Do give extra time for deliveries, travel, and communication.
- Do try not to make major plans during this time.
- Do flow and become flexible with the ever-changing environment.
- Do double check that important documents have been received.
- Do summarise what you think more often to lower miscommunication.
- Take extra time when trading.
- Try not to buy or sell anything of value during this time.
- Do be aware of extra forgetfulness.
Crystals For Clarity, Reflection, and Concentration
- Clear Quartz brings clarity to the mind.
- Obsidian has been used throughout history as a stone for reflecting ans looking within.
- Fluorite helps with concentration and focusing energies.
It Isn't All That Bad
It can seem like there is a lot to look out for during Mercury retrograde, but it isn’t all that bad. Mercury retrograde is a great time to slow down and reflect on life. This is the perfect time to look and listen to the different directions in your life. The reflection that we go through during this time can help to bring us closure.
This is a good time to reconnect with old friends, relive old memories and let go of any past events that are holding us back. We can all benefit from reflecting and taking a deeper look at things within our lives. This time often causes people to slow down and be mindful of the situation they are in, which is a wonderful thing.
Using The Elements
To help us get through Mercury Retrograde we can look at the zodiac but also the different elements. Each of the zodiacs holds a different element and each year Mercury will favor one element over the others.
- Mercury in the fire signs: This is a time that we need to address situations and problems with new, and innovative solutions. Fire signs are creative, unique and brave so don’t be afraid to come up with new ideas. Try to branch out and think about things in a big way. Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius.
- Mercury in the air signs: This is a time for more communication and discussion. People may be giving their opinions more often and being very open. Try to be analytical and objective when making decisions and try not to be emotional when making decisions. Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius.
- Mercury in the earth signs: This is a time to be more practical. Try to stick with regulations, time management, and budget management. During this time try to think of down to Earth realistic solutions to your problems. Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn.
- Mercury in the water signs: This is a time to use your intuition. Begin to question everything and trust your gut. Increase your emotional intelligence during this time and start to listen to your inner self. Cancer, Pisces, and Scorpio.